We spend a lot of time in our family minivan. With 5 kids of all different ages we are constantly on the go due to different events at different schools for each of them.
One thing I have learned over the years is to be prepared for anything when you have kids in the car, you never know what to expect. I learned a valuable lesson at a soccer game once when we forgot the diaper bag at home. Let’s just say my child ended up wearing a grocery bag and towel as a makeshift diaper.
Since that day, I have kept diapers and wipes in the glovebox of our cars in addition to having these items with us whenever we head out for a trip that will have the kids in the car for 30 or more minutes.
Must Have Items
- Books – Keep a few age appropriate books in the car at all times and encourage them to hone their reading skills or create their own story based on the pictures. Books also give them something to do instead of them asking you over and over if you’re there yet.
- Blanket(s) – It never fails that we are headed somewhere and I hear that someone is cold or tired and they ask for a blanket.
- Baby Wipes – These are a must have with kids as they can be used for so much more than changing a diaper. You can bet that someone will spill, or get an owie or rub up onto something and get dirty.
- Snacks – Make sure you have something on hand for when the inevitable I’m hungry comes out of their mouth. Fruit snacks, fruit bars, crackers, are all great snacks for in the car.
- Beverages – Of course, if you’re going to have a snack, you’ll want to have a car friendly beverage such as bottled water, juice box or a sippy cup.
- Clothes – Yes, you’re traveling, you have a suitcase of clothes but you should always have an extra outfit readily available for each kid in case someone gets sick or has an accident.
- Garbage Bag(s) / Trash Receptacle – I don’t know how they manage to do it but it never fails that there is a mess in the car when you are traveling with kids. Have something handy for them to throw their trash in.
Do you have any must have items when traveling with your family?