As you may recall, back in 2012, our family moved into our forever home thanks to some amazing help from my parents. At the time, we were just renting the property from my parents until we were in a good place, financially, that allowed us to purchase the home from them, which we did in 2015. Here we are now, homeowners, and we couldn’t happier.
How did we get here?
The first step we took on the journey to credit repair was to pull copies of each of our credit reports. From there, we made sure that any good debt we had was being reported to show that we were making out payments on time.
Next, we paid of any small debts on our credit reports first. Once we got to the bigger amounts, we called our debtors and they worked with us on a settlement amount for us to pay to clear the debt from our report.
From there, we went to our bank and took out a secured credit card to use for emergencies and made sure to pay the bill on time every month.
Ways to help you rebuild your credit.
If you are looking to rebuild your credit, you need to understand that as you do it, you will be paying higher interest rates for things but in the end, it will be worth it.
- Get yourself a secured credit card. Make sure you use it occasionally and also pay the bill on time.
- If you need a car, look into auto credit program. There are quite a few out there that will allow you to purchase a reliable car with financing at a higher interest rate but they will report you payment history to the credit bureaus to help raise your scores.
- Pay all of your current bills on time, every last one of them.
- If you don’t already have a checking and savings account, get them.
- Get a copy of your credit report and start to pay off your debts. Make phone calls and ask for settlement offers or payment plans.
- Monitor your credit continuously.
After taking these steps, you can watch your credit score start to climb!